Moderate: Responsive web design, browser support and compatibility, PHP, Section 508 and WCAG conformance (accessibility), Adobe Photoshop, SEO, WordPress, user experience
Dabbling: web server configuration (Apache httpd, htaccess), web security, data interchange (JSON and XML), databases (MySQL)
Front-end Web Developer
- September 2021–present with Karsun Solutions (Herndon, VA)
- January 2008–August 2021 with Network Designs (McLean, VA)
- June 2007–December 2007 with Ettain Group (Reston, VA)
Web development primarily for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Lead front-end developer for FAA's public-facing website, FAA.gov and their employee website (MyFAA), both ColdFusion-based
- Converted site-wide video implementation from Flash to HTML5, with support for HTTP Live Streaming and closed captions.
- Completely overhauled the FAA.gov template codebase and perform ongoing maintenance:
- Implemented device-agnostic responsive design (RWD) for all screen sizes
- Improved web typography, focusing on rhythm, spacing, size, and proportion
- Created a comprehensive front-end test suite for template development
- Restructured the template programming logic for efficiency and simplicity
- Managed plugin upgrades/compatibility and template transition issues across site sections and pages
- Content Plus — one-off short-term projects that involve one or more of the following: significant programming logic, front-end development (visual layout/design), interactivity, data interchange/manipulation, forms
- Write and curate web development documentation for FAA's collective offices and lines of business. Maintain documentation to reflect our evolving codebase and our internal web standards.
- Other notable projects and initiatives:
- Created HTML5-based interactive World War I and World War II timelines for the Department of the Interior’s American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC).
- Overhauled FAA Web Management applications, Attivio search implementation, Commercial Space Data, NextGen, ASH Hazmat, FAA Jobs, SiteMinder/MyAccess help desk rebranding
I have built, overhauled, and maintained websites for a variety of small businesses and organizations. I strive to create functional and visually appealing layouts; to employ responsive design and ensure cross-browser compatibility; to conform to web standards (HTML5, CSS) and employ ethical SEO; and to keep content accessible (Section 508 and WCAG compliance). View my portfolio.
Technical Services Manager
- March 2007–May 2007 with 2020 Company (Falls Church, VA)
- February 2005–March 2007 with Library Systems and Services, Inc. (LSSI) (Germantown, MD)
Technical services for the Department of Energy library
- Developed web sites and web applications for the Energy Library, including a reference librarian blog and a documentation wiki. Maintained library websites, including the online catalog and intranet.
- Ensured Certification and Accreditation (C&A) of library-related computer systems and databases.
- Maintained Microsoft Access databases: developed reports in VisualBasic.
- Administered a Windows 2000 web and file server.
- Managed cataloging and inventory control at DOE, including original and copy cataloging, weeding, and local MARC record editing.