Moderate: Responsive web design, browser support and compatibility, PHP, Section 508 and WCAG conformance (accessibility), Adobe Photoshop, SEO, WordPress, user experience
Dabbling: web server configuration (Apache httpd, htaccess), web security, data interchange (JSON and XML), databases (MySQL)
Front-end Web Developer (officially Applications Analyst/Developer IV)
Web development primarily for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Lead front-end developer for FAA's public-facing website, FAA.gov and their employee website (MyFAA), both ColdFusion-based
- Converted site-wide video implementation from Flash to HTML5, with support for HTTP Live Streaming and closed captions.
- Completely overhauled the FAA.gov template codebase and perform ongoing maintenance:
- Implemented device-agnostic responsive design (RWD) for all screen sizes
- Improved web typography, focusing on rhythm, spacing, size, and proportion
- Created a comprehensive front-end test suite for template development
- Restructured the template programming logic for efficiency and simplicity
- Managed plugin upgrades/compatibility and template transition issues across site sections and pages
- Content Plus — one-off short-term projects that involve one or more of the following: significant programming logic, front-end development (visual layout/design), interactivity, data interchange/manipulation, forms
- Write and curate web development documentation for FAA's collective offices and lines of business. Maintain documentation to reflect our evolving codebase and our internal web standards.
- Other notable projects and initiatives:
- Created HTML5-based interactive World War I and World War II timelines for the Department of the Interior’s American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC).
- Overhaul of FAA Web Management applications, Attivio search implementation, Commercial Space Data, NextGen, ASH Hazmat, FAA Jobs, SiteMinder/MyAccess help desk rebranding
I have built, overhauled, and maintained websites for a variety of small businesses and organizations. I strive to create functional and visually appealing layouts; to employ responsive design and ensure cross-browser compatibility; to conform to web standards (HTML5, CSS) and employ ethical SEO; and to keep content accessible (Section 508 and WCAG compliance). View my portfolio.
Technical Services Manager
Technical services for the Department of Energy library
- Developed web sites and web applications for the Energy Library, including a reference librarian blog and a documentation wiki. Maintained library websites, including the online catalog and intranet.
- Ensured Certification and Accreditation (C&A) of library-related computer systems and databases.
- Maintained Microsoft Access databases: developed reports in VisualBasic.
- Administered a Windows 2000 web and file server.
- Managed cataloging and inventory control at DOE, including original and copy cataloging, weeding, and local MARC record editing.
December 1999–March 2007 with Library Systems and Services, Inc. (LSSI) (Germantown, MD)
Cataloging and materials processing for the Smithsonian Institution Libraries
- Inventoried serial holdings at various Smithsonian Library branches.
- Modified serial records with Horizon.
- Maintained monthly statistics for all projects and generated reports.
Notable projects and initiatives
- Inventoried the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden's monograph collection (2005).
- Automated the serials check-in project for the Acquisitions Department. Established prediction patterns and enumeration for subscription serial titles.
- Cataloged selections from the trade literature collection at the Museum of American History (2003–2004).
- Cataloged vertical files with OCLC CatMe for the African Art Museum library (2001–2003).
- Aided the bindery preparation project at the Library of Congress' Law Library (2002). Used Voyager and LARS bindery preparation software.
- Prepared books and other media for circulation for the Montgomery College campus libraries (2000–2002). Covered, stamped, labeled, and affixed barcodes to media. Maintained process documentation. Worked with Voyager cataloging and OCLC Prism.
Database Technician and Cataloger
July 1998–February 2001 with The North American Forum on the Catechumenate (Washington, DC)
- Updated and maintained The Forum's membership database, first with The Raiser's Edge, then with Alpha Five.
- Developed and maintained a Microsoft Access database for The Forum's library.
- Processed purchase orders and prepared items for shipment.